Join the team, live the adventure!
May 30 to July 12, 2019
Dig Director: Dr. Paul Z. Gregor
Khirbet Safra is located 17 km southwest of Madaba overlooking the Dead Sea and the road which connects Madaba to Main Hot Springs and the Dead Sea. The site was established during the 13th century BC, covering 2.6 acres. The city was fortified with a double wall (casemate wall system) and was destroyed by fire two centuries later. The site was occupied again in the 11th century BC. This settlement continued until 760 BC when it was destroyed by an earthquake. From that time onward, it seems that the site was abandoned until the early Byzantine period when a farmstead was established on its western side. The house might have been in use for several centuries after which the site was completely abandoned and never settled again. (Download the brochure.)
All are welcome to apply!
- 1-3 Weeks $2100
- 4-6 Weeks $4200
- All weekend tours included; airfare NOT included
- AU Students: Depends on the academic program; contact email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Due Dates and Downloads (some 2019 forms not yet available):
- 2019 Security Form (Due February 1, 2019)
- Copy of your passport ID page (Due February 1, 2019)
- Application Packet Safra 2019 (Due March 1, 2019)
- $500 deposit (Due March 1, 2019)
- Siegfried H Horn Dig Scholarship Application for MDiv students (Due March 1, 2019)
- Final payment (Due May 8, 2019)