Join the team, live the adventure!
Our dig dates for this summer are May 8- June 10, 2022.
Dig Director: Dr. Paul Z. Gregor
Khirbet Safra is located 17 km southwest of Madaba overlooking the Dead Sea and the road which connects Madaba to Ma’in Hot Springs and the Dead Sea. The site was established during the 13th century BC, covering 2.6 acres. The city was fortified with a double wall (casemate wall system) and was destroyed by fire two centuries later. The site was occupied again in the 11th century BC. This settlement continued until the mid ninth century BC when it was destroyed either by an earthquake or by a human agent. From that time onward, it seems that the site was abandoned until the early Byzantine period when a farmstead was established on its western side. The house might have been in use for several centuries after which the site was completely abandoned and never settled again (2022 Safra Brochure).
All are welcome to apply!
- Half Season $2100 (weekend tours extra)
- Full Season $4200 (weekend tours included)
- Airfare NOT included
- Optional tour of Israel following the conclusion of the dig (at additional cost)
- AU Students: Depends on the academic program; contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Due Dates and Downloads:
- 2022 Security Form (Due February 1, 2022)
- Copy of your passport ID page (Due February 1, 2022)
- 2022 Safra Application Packet (Due March 1, 2022)
- $500 deposit (Due March 1, 2022)
- 2022 Horn Scholarship fo MDiv Students (Due March 1, 2022)
- Final payment (Due May 8, 2022)